Feeling a lil sluggish? Beets are the perfect natural alternative to put a pep in your step! Beets are known to boost your energy and improve mental clarity which makes this beetroot latte the perfect afternoon pick me up!
Beets are one of the best super foods for boosting your brain power. They’re also great for detoxing your body naturally, especially your liver.
They are high in natural nitrates, which converts to nitric oxide in your body. Nitric oxide can expand the walls of blood vessels which gives you more nutrients, oxygen, and more energy.
Skip the Red Bull and march to deez beets instead.
Beets are an underestimated nutritional powerhouse offering a surprising amount of health benefits.
- Beets are one of the best sources of folate which is important for mood, memory and processing speed.
- Beets are a great source of betaine which your brain uses to make SAM-e a molecule that acts as a natural antidepressant
- Due to it’s high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties beets may be helpful for gut inflammation and digestion.
- Iron and choline found in beets act like a ‘Mr Clean’ for your body and detoxify your entire body, especially your liver.
- Drinking even just one glass of beet juice can lower systolic blood pressure by an average of 4-5 points. This is due to the nitrates which convert into nitric oxide in your body. It helps to dilate your overworked blood vessels and improves blood flow.
- The beautiful deep crimson colour of beets contains powerful phytonutrients that help fight cancer. In fact blue, red or purple contain anti-aging phytochemicals that improve circulation and protect against heart disease.
- Research shows that beets have powerful benefits for your brain when combined with exercise so get movin’!
Could your mood or your energy use a boost?
There are 12 powerful vitamins and nutrients that are essential for boosting your brain power based on proven scientific research!
Find out what they are (+ the top food sources) in this FREE guide!
Beets Sugar Content
Some people are scared of eating beets to their sugar content. 100g of beets has about 7g of sugar. Although they are a bit on the higher side in terms of sugar this is balanced by the decent amount of fiber they offer. In 100g you’ll get 1.7 grams of dietary fiber which makes up seven percent of your daily value.
This is important because their high fiber content slows your body’s absorption of the sugar, which minimizes their impact on your blood glucose levels.
They rank 64 on the glycemic index scale, which is a measure of how quickly foods raise your blood sugars. A GI of 55 or less is considered low, and beets don’t exceed that by much.
How to Eat Beets
There are so many ways to enjoy beets!
- Peel and shred raw beets and add to salads
- Roast them, chop them up and add them to salads, as a side or in your smoothies along with strawberries or blueberries
- Add them to desserts and make frozen yogourt or brownies
How to make beetroot juice
One of the most popular ways beets are enjoyed these days are in juice. Since beets are great for boosting energy, this natural energy drink will boost your immune system and put a pep in your step!
Beetroot Benefits for Skin
In addition to being great for increasing your energy and brain power, beets also offer some amazing benefits for your skin.
In my book Unbreakable I talk about how plant based foods can slow down signs of aging. One vitamin that helps with this that’s found in beets is Vitamin C. Beets contain a significant amount of Vitamin C. Vitamin C boosts your skin’s collagen production giving you smoother, more plump skin.
Beets also contain silica which is helpful for maintaining glowing skin in addition to strengthening hair and bones.
So those are the benefits of sipping on this sexy beet latte for protecting your brain and increasing your energy. There’s even more vitamins and nutrients that are essential for boosting your brain power so that’s what I put together On Point, an ultimate guide of 10 Powerful Vitamins and Minerals that Ignite Your Brain Power (+ the top food sources) based on proven scientific research!
You’ll discover even more mood boosting foods that you can start eating today to pull you out of your slump.
You can grab it by clicking here to start boosting your brain power today.
- 1 small pre cooked beet
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup almond milk [or you can just do 1 cup non dairy milk]
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 inch piece fresh grated ginger)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap beet in foil and roast for about 30 -40 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces it (I usually just roast them as soon as I get home from the grocery store and keep in the fridge for smoothies and salads).
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
- Add mixture to a small saucepan on low heat and heat until warm. Drink immediately or if you like a frothier latte, return the mixture to your blender and give it a whiz for a few seconds until frothy.