This easy slow cooker recipe is the final post in my sassy slow cooker series.
Over the last 3 weeks I shared 3 comforting easy slow cooker recipes that you can whip up in your slow cooker.
What’s the one food you need to help you manage or lose weight and help you live longer? Black beans.
That’s why I eat black beans often and they steal the show in this Chipotle Black Bean Soup! This is SUCH an easy slow cooker recipe and literally just takes 10 minutes max to throw it together. If you don’t have a slow cooker, no problem, I’ve included stovetop directions below.
There are areas of the world where people live the longest. These areas are called The Blue Zones. People in these countries live to reach age 100 at 10 times the average rate. What’s their secret? At the cornerstone of their diet is beans.
Black beans and other pulses are a delicious fat fighting triple threat thanks to protein, fiber and resistant starch.
Many people think that they can’t get protein from a plant-based diet but protein sources such as beans and legumes are high in complex carbohydrates and dietary fiber, and are also an excellent source of protein.
I talk more about the myths and the benefits about plant-based eating in my digital guide Healthy Body Happy Life which you can grab by clicking here. You’ll learn how plant-based eating can increase your lifespan and decrease your waistline!
In fact what I love about plant-based foods such as black beans is that they are high in fiber.
Check out my step by step video to see just how easy it is to whip up this soup!
A high-fiber diet not only leaves your tummy full and satisfied, it also reduces the risk of hypertension and heart disease.
A healthy adult needs 21 to 38 grams a day however most of us are getting less than half the recommended amount.
If you love black beans like me or curious about how to add them to your meals, you can check out these black bean recipes on the blog.
One of my favs is this easy slow cooker recipe – Black Bean, Corn & Turkey Chili. Sometimes I just omit the turkey and just pack in more beans and veggies.
Besides black beans are one of the cheapest healthy foods and are extremely versatile!
So stock up and make this soup!
The heat in this soup comes from canned chipotle peppers. If you’ve never used them before you are in for quite a treat! It is essentially jalapeños that are smoked and rehydrated in a beautiful tangy, smoky, spicy, sweet purée garlic, tomato, vinegar and other spices.
It packs a bit of heat so tread lightly but add such a nice depth to any dish like chilis, sauces, beans, sandwiches etc
I love to throw on some avocado for some added healthy fat. I sometimes add some crushed organic tortilla chips as well and some diced tomatoes.
What are you favourite meals to make with black beans?
Psst…come back and comment to let me know if you tried this soup or any one of my sassy slow cooker series recipes!
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 jalapenos, seeds removed, diced [optional]
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ - 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers in adobo [or chipotle chili powder]
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Diced avocado, few sprigs fresh cilantro, small dollop (not crazy silly spoonfuls) sour cream
- Throw all ingredients into the slow cooker, give it a good stir, cook on high for 6-8 hours. Walk away and go about your day! [If you don’t have a slow cooker add all ingredients to a large pot, bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 25 – 30 minutes.]
- When done cooking, transfer mixture in batches to blender and blend until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.
- When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.
DISCOVER 3 TIPS FOR EASY MEAL PLANNING!
Get Instant Access to the 3 Simple Meal Planning Tips that will Save You Time, Money & Frustration in the Kitchen!