This rich zucchini bisque is easy to make and owes it’s velvety texture to a luscious mixture of coconut milk and tahini.
Mother nature is still dragging her feet about giving us warm weather here in Toronto, so – soup was in order.
Not just any soup – I upped the ante with this bisque.
A bisque is a thicker type of soup. Typically bisques are associated with seafood, and more often with lobster. The thickness from bisques is owed to a whole whack of cream. But there’s none of that in this recipe.
The thick, velvety creamy texture is due to…tahini!
For a full video tutorial check out my YouTube Video by clicking below!
SO many great uses for tahini but in this soup it’s absolutely outstanding. I literally could not stop eating this soup and couldn’t believe that something that tasted so rich was actually good for me, and my waistline.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds.
~ It’s one of the best sources of calcium
~ It has 20% complete protein, making it a higher protein source than most nuts.
~ It’s easy for your body to digest because of its high alkaline mineral content, which is great for assisting in weight loss
~ It is high in unsaturated fat (good fat!) which will help to keep cravings in check
~ It’s high in vitamin E and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B15
You can use it in salad dressings and stir fries. If you like creamy salad dressings and are watching your waist, tahini should be your go to. Simply blend in it in a food processor with some lemon juice, garlic, ginger and sea salt and you have an amazing homemade dressing/ stir fry sauce in minutes.
Do you want to feel full and satisfied at all times when losing weight and learn how to manage your sugar cravings?
I am ALL about taking less healthier foods and putting a new spin on it to develop healthier alternatives without sacrificing taste. Taste is BIG in my world and I’m assuming it is for you too.
So let’s talk about zucchini for a minute. Zucchini is on the list of low glycemic index foods, which means that it’s going to help to control your blood sugar and help with controlling cravings, excellent conditions for managing weight. As a bonus they bulk up meals without added fat and calories and are high in fiber which will boost your metabolism.
Do you see why I’m freaking out about this soup?! Crazy amount of benefits, just cray and flavour for dizzzays.
If you try this recipe come back and let me know!
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- ¼ cup of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium high heat. When saucepan is hot add zucchini, onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Or transfer to a blender or food processor, blending until smooth.
- Return bisque to saucepan. Add in remaining ingredients and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 minutes or until heated.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of nutmeg if desired.