Sometimes you just need a sweet treat. There’s no one that gets it more than yours truly.
It’s damn hard sometimes to fight cravings and not give in to the cookie monster buried deep inside.
I think I may have a solution for you. These Coconut Chocolate Chip Lentil Blondies.
Now I know what you’re thinking and hell yes, you can put lentils in a dessert. I promise – you won’t even know that they’re tucked inside there.
Lentils are packed with protein and fiber and is actually one of those foods that will help you feel full for a long period of time. When was the last time you actually ate a dessert that worked for you rather than against you??
A few years back I made a video talking about these lovelies and entered a contest with Lentils Canada.
I was one of 5 lucky people chosen to fly to PEI to shoot a cooking video in reknowned Chef Michael Smith’s kitchen (Judge Chopped: Canada). It truly was an incredible experience and was eye-opening to get a taste of what it’s like to be the Star of the Show.
Try not to laugh too hard as you watch this video! 😆 This was looong before the days before appearing on Cityline, Breakfast TV and other media outlets. I will say that having the opportunity to shoot this video was what sparked my interest in appearing in the media more often and inspire people to eat healthy without deprivation.
Anywho…you didn’t come here for a confessional – you want those blondies y’all!
Did you watch the video?
This experience just goes to show that…..
A. Great things come to those who follow their passion (and shoot videos with their iphone)
B. Lentils in desserts DO taste good 🙂
I mean c’mon you have a winning recipe on your hands here!
Back to cravings for a sec.
Since losing 30 pounds and keeping it off I’ve been asked countless times what my secrets are.
I can tell you with certainty that lentils were one of the KEY foods to help me lose weight. They kept me full thanks to fiber and helped me to manage my cravings.
If you make these Coconut Chocolate Chip Lentil Blondies I would love to hear about it. No, really, I want to know what you thought so come back and leave a comment below or take a pic and tag me on Instagram (@trudyestone).
Coconut Chocolate Chip Lentil Blondies
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lightly packed coconut palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or your favourite gluten free option)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Prepare and preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Turn on your convection fan if you have one. Lightly oil a 9- x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set up your food processor or mixer.
- Prepare the lentils. In a small saucepan, bring the lentils and water to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cover tightly. Continue cooking until the lentils are soft and tender, about 10 minutes. Pour the soft lentils into your food processor. Add the brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Process the works until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the wet ingredients, coconut, and chocolate chips, reserving 2 tablespoons of each for garnishing. Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan. Smooth out the top and sprinkle with the reserved coconut and chocolate chips. Bake for 25 minutes. Rest until cool, 20 minutes or so, then cut into bars or squares.