I think I have a slight obsession with sweet potatoes. I suppose there are way worse things to be obsessed with like Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, cake batter right from the spoon etc…
Thankfully this Sweet Potato Red Lentil Curry nurtures my obsession in a much healthier way as does my Sweet Potato Carrot Lentil Soup. Hey, what can I say, sweet potatoes and lentils are a match made in my kitchen 🙂
But can we get back to licking spoons for a minute? I found myself constantly tasting this recipe as it bubbled away on the stove. That’s how I know I have a winner.
I was like well maybe I should just test it one more time.
Okay well maybe the flavour has changed a lil bit so let me just taste it again to make sure.
Hmmm are those sweet potatoes cooked yet? Let me just go in a check for a sec.
I think that the combo and types of spices in this dish played a bit part. I recently received a little spice gift back from the good folks over at MySpiceBox.ca
I was quite tickled to see that all of my favs were in there. The whole gang. Turmeric, cayenne, garam masala and Ceylon cinnamon. All of which I use on the regular and were the perfect team for this red lentil curry.
All of their spices are certified organic so you don’t need to worry about pesky pesticides and all of that GMO nonsense. Their freshly ground organic spices can be delivered right to your door!
I love that they realize the importance of adding quality spices to plant-based meals that will bring your food to life.
Lentils are my go to for making any meal instantly better and healthier, especially in stews and soups. Lentils are high in protein, fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals. If you’re watching your weight I have good news because they’re also low in calories and fat and help to ignite your metabolism for accelerated weight loss. Lentils were key in helping me to lose 30 lbs!
Finding it impossible to lose the weight and keep it off even when you follow all the rules?
A slow metabolism may be to blame.
Click here to check out Metabolism on Fire for a step by step blueprint to ignite your sluggish metabolism for accelerated weight loss!
This beautiful soul satisfying red lentil curry, was prepared in 1 pot in about 30 minutes. Feel free to serve with brown rice and naan.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 medium carrots. Chopped into coins
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Naan bread and brown rice for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and onions, stirring frequently, until softened, and onions translucent about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, cumin and turmeric, stirring for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, potato, lentils, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 20 -25 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired and serve with brown rice and naan.