The holidays are in full swing and so is the baking in my kitchen! I hosted a tree trimming party at my house this past weekend so I now feel like I am in full blown holiday mode.
One of the things I made was this Gingerbread Cake with Warm Caramel Glaze. By the time I ran upstairs to grab my camera to snap a pic, the cake was gone. Just.like.that.
All that greeted my camera were a few crumbs and some dribbles of caramel sauce. Soooo I had to make it again to take a picture, but it was worth it, just for you 🙂
Not only is this cake a crowd pleaser, I mean who DOESN’T like gingerbread??? It’s ridiculously easy to make. It’s a beautiful uncomplicated dessert to have at the end of a holiday meal. A bonus is that ginger aids in digestion!
Ginger has many therapeutic properties including antioxidant effects, and contains anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. There are studies which have proven ginger’s effectiveness on treating arthritis. If you’re suffering from motion sickness or nausea ginger is great for that too.
Although I can’t promise you’ll get all of these benefits in cake form, it should at least make you feel just a lil better about eating it 🙂
I highly recommend serving this warm with warm caramel sauce. As far as holiday desserts go, anything with warm spices or ginger is right up my alley.
There’s just something so comforting about warm spices intermingled in a dessert that sparks my taste buds and send my endorphins sky high!
The one thing I have yet to do with gingerbread is to make a gingerbread house. I might try it sometime, maaaybe. I almost feel like I need to have some sort of construction or Property Brothers type credentials to pull a gingerbread house together.
This cake brings back sweet holiday memories of some of the first cakes that I used to bake as a child. In fact this cake was so easy to make you probably could get the kids to give you a hand.
What are your holiday baking traditions?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can also use Gluten free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 organic egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- ½ cup butter or coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut palm (or brown sugar)
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Grease an 8 inch square pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices
- In mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter, then add sugar and mix thoroughly. Stir in molasses.
- Beat egg thoroughly and add to butter/ sugar mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in three additions, mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add boiling water, stirring after each addition. Slowly pour into baking pan.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Serve warm with warm caramel glaze.
- Add all ingredients to medium saucepan and stir together over medium high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Drizzle over warm gingerbread
What makes this post extra special is that I’ve teamed up with some fellow talented bloggers for a special Christmas collaboration. You know what that means?
More desserts for you!
When I looked at this link round up for the first time I think I literally drooled, just a little. I’ve included their awesome recipes below. If you make any of these tasty morsels feel free to tag it on social media using #CdnBloggerTraditions
Apple Cider Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce by One Tough Cookie
Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares by My Kitchen Love
Caribbean Sorrel by Chew Street
Chocolate Truffle Hedgehogs by Cocoa Bean, The Vegetable
Coco-Kalikimaka Cookies by The Chewy Life
Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars by The Cinnamon Scrolls
Gingerbread Cake with Maple Whipped Cream (Vegan) by The Refreshanista
Peppermint Chocolate Snowball Truffles by The Busy Baker
Polish Gingerbread Cookies (Pierniczki Tradycyjne) by Liv for Cake
Vegan Caramel Popcorn by The Viet Vegan
Happy holidays to you and yours!