Maca is one of those foods that is severely underestimated. This may be the first that you’re hearing about it or maybe you’ve heard the name in passing but still not sure what all the hype is about.
So What IS Maca?
This was what I was asked when a coworker caught me stirring this into my oats one morning. As I type this even spellcheck can’t figure out what the hell it is.
Maca, also known as “Peruvian Ginseng”, is from the Andes of Peru and contains 31 different minerals and 60 different phytonutrients. The soil that is in grown in is rich in volcanic minerals and is the ONLY plant that is able to withstand such a harsh climate. That’s one tough ****
What are the benefits?
- It’s very effective in increasing energy and metabolism
- It’s great for regulating hormones
- EXCELLENT for fertility and increasing the libido. It’s be touted as ‘nature’s Viagra’. In fact it contains compounds that positively affect fertility and was used as far back at the 1500s by the native Peruvians to increase fertility
- It strengthens your body by aiding your immune system in resisting stress and disease
- Helps to prevent some forms of cancer due to glucosinolate
Want the scoop on even more metabolism boosting foods and some simple strategies to ignite your metabolism?
If you’re ready to finally lose weight then re-setting your metabolism is that best way to make it happen! Click here to check out Metabolism on Fire!
Metabolism on Fire is a step by step blueprint with all the tools you need to lose weight, ignite your sluggish metabolism and feel sexy and energized!
Wondering how to enjoy maca?
You can purchase the powder form and stir it into oats like I did with this recipe or add to your smoothies. It’s also available in capsule form. You can find both at your local health food store.
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 2 – 3 tablespoons fresh or frozen berries
- 1 – 2 teaspoons pepitas
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted coconut
- Prepare steel cut oats according to package directions.
- Remove from stove and stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar (if desired) and maca powder. Add fruit and lightly stir together.
- Top with pepitas, hemp seeds, and coconut
Discover the top 5 foods that will boost your energy so that you can beat the afternoon slump!