Beets are one of those things I’ve just never had an interest in. Their seductive colour stops me in my tracks when flipping through recipes but I could never bring myself to eat them, until now. While nudging at one in the produce aisle the other day and debating what to do with it, I decided it was worthy of my cart so I brought it home.
I remember once having cold pressed beet juice at a local shop in Toronto last summer and that it had ginger. I didn’t want to admit it to myself but I actually liked it. That memory on that warm summer day lingered and I vowed to try eating it again…someday…
After having a stare down with the beet on my counter I decided to make beet ginger juice. Then it dawned on me, I don’t have a juicer. Ah the devil is in the details….
I had just committed to the beet, and was sooo not ready to go steady with a juicer, so I decided to just throw it in the blender and strain it through my mesh strainer. I’m so glad that I did because what I created that day was magical.
I’m now a believer.
Here are 4 reasons to eat beets:
- Beets are high in fiber, vitamin C, and potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas).
- Beets are very rich in carbohydrates, which can provide a lot of energy. Drinking beet juice will give you an energy boost before a workout.
- Beets cleanse the body and purify blood.
- They’re an aphrodisiac. Beets contain high amounts of boron, which is directly related to the production of human sex hormones. Ahem…
Now go on and make yourself a drink!
- 1 beet peeled and sliced into quarters
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 apple peeled and sliced into quarters
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- Throw all ingredients in a blender and thoroughly blend until smooth.
- Pour juice over a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl or a large glass. (setting the strainer on top of a bowl will make it easier to strain)
- Use a large spoon to press the pulp through strainer, squeezing out all of the juice.
- Discard pulp and serve juice a glass. It’s best if enjoyed immediately, so you can add some ice to chill it or chill for a bit in the fridge.
Discover the top 5 foods that will boost your energy so that you can beat the afternoon slump!