Moist and flavourful catfish is tossed in cajun spices and pan fried to golden crispy perfection.
In the early 2000’s a girlfriend and I decided to take a road trip to Detroit to check out a comedy show. Something unexpected to me happened that night, it’s name – Catfish. At that moment the comedians were no longer the stars of the show. Once my taste buds got a hit of that crispy golden fried coating, life was never the same. I began to wonder, where had this delicacy been hiding all of my life? Why had I not been exposed to this wonder earlier?
If you haven’t had catfish before, the texture is similar to tilapia and it has a slightly sweet taste. It’s a mild fish that serves as a great canvas to wide array of spices and cooking methods.
My fav by far, though unhealthy I know, is a good ‘ol Louisiana pan fry. I love the way the oil sizzles in the pan while imparting a nice golden hue on our farm raised friend. The aroma of the spices as they pop and sizzle in the pan. Fo shizzle, it’s all about that sizzle.
When I decide to make catfish in my house, the hubster knows it’s gonna be a gooood night 🙂
Since Mardis Gras is being celebrated this week, I thought that it was only fitting that I share this Cajun fried catfish recipe with you which also happens to be my favourite recipe EVER.
I apologize for the less than stellar food photography because I had actually snapped this with my iPhone.
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (finely ground)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine cornmeal, flour and spices.
- Coat catfish with mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fill frying pan with 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil and heat on medium high heat.
- Add 2 catfish at a time in single layer and fry until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining 2 catfish.
- You can keep the first batch of catfish warm in an oven heated to 275.
Discover the top 5 foods that will boost your energy so that you can beat the afternoon slump!