The answer to your winter shut in – a hearty, steamy bowl of flavour packed turkey chili.
Today is -38 with the wind chill and this week promises to be more of the same. Yeahhhh…. When this type of weather hits, I feel the need to hunker down and eat. I felt in the mood for something to warm my body and soul. Something comforting and hearty. When I think hearty I think turkey chili so I decided to whip up my favourite slow cooker chili – Black Bean, Corn, and Turkey Chili. If you prefer not to use ground turkey, you can go ahead and use ground beef.
As I opened my front door this past weekend to make a run to the grocery store I was hit with a wallop of -38. It felt like a brick wall had hit my face, I mean this was a full on Winter assault. At that moment I knew that this trip to the grocery store was going to be my only escape for the weekend so I had to make the trip count. I also knew that I was making turkey chili.
Other than hot chocolate or perhaps a hot toddy, the one other thing you should be snuggling up to when this weather hits is your slow cooker. Make that baby work for you! I am amazed at the amount of people who either have a slow cooker and don’t use it or have never used it at all. You know who you are 😉
It doesn’t get much easier than chopping a few things up and tossing them in the slow cooker. Do this before you leave for work and when you come home you have a hot meal waiting for you. It’s like having a personal chef but without the personal chef price tag. If you’re looking for slow cooker recipes check out my Pinterest page. Rachael Ray also has a great selection as well.
For this particular recipe you’ll need to brown the meat for several minutes before placing in the slow cooker but I implore you – do not abandon the mission! Just think…tasty, hearty chili. Mmmmm.
Black Bean, Corn, and Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1) Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2) Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and black pepper, stir to coat the onion, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ground turkey and salt and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until the beef is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- 3) Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, beans, and corn. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors unite, about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- 4) Taste and season with salt as needed, and serve with the cheese, scallions, sour cream or any of your favourite accoutrements!
1 thought on “Black Bean, Corn, and Turkey Chili”
This sounds delicious… perfect for this frigid weather!